What is Operation Identification?
Operation Identification, or Operation ID, is a citizen's burglary prevention/property identification program for use in homes and businesses. Operation ID involves the marking of property with an identifying number as a means of discouraging burglary and theft. This number also helps law enforcement agencies identify your property should it be lost or stolen.
What Identification Number Should I Use?
Mark your valuables by inscribing your driver's license number and state identifier (CA for California). I f you do not drive, mark your valuables by engraving your California identification card number, which can be obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles.
What Property Should I Engrave?
- All items that might be attractive to a thief, such as radios, televisions, camera equipment, stereos, small appliances, tools, and sports equipment.
- Small or very valuable items such as jewelry or antiques can either be engraved by a jeweler or photographed for identification purposes.
Where Do I Get An Engraver?
- Call the Police Department at 738-6836 to borrow an electric engraving tool.
- Return the engraver within the loan agreement time so others can use it.
- You can purchase an engraving tool at hardware, department, and variety stores. They are relatively inexpensive.
Where Should I Make The Engraving?
One of Operation I. Ds objectives is to warn burglars away. Do not try to hide the fact that an item has been engraved. Mark items as conspicuously as possible without defacing them. Make sure it is permanently affixed to the item and not on removable parts. For further protection, engrave some items a second time in a more obscure spot.
How Do I Use The Engraver?
- When engraving, hold the tool straight up and down.
- The engraving tool can be adjusted for surface differences.
- Practice using the engraving tool before you mark your property.
How Do I Keep An Inventory Of The Engraved Items?
- Make a list of the engraved items including the make, model, size, color, and serial number, as applicable. Also, record the exact spots where you have engraved the items.
- You should keep this record at home for reference and additions. Also keep a copy in a secure place, such as a safe deposit box.
How Do I Obtain And Display My Operation ID Sticker?
After marking your property, you should display an Operation ID sticker near every entrance to your home. The stickers can be obtained from the Police Department Community Services Bureau.
The Fullerton Police Department