Household Hazardous Material
The County of Orange has several Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers available to Orange County residents ONLY upon proof of residency. Household hazardous waste is not accepted from businesses, schools, government agencies, churches, and non-profit organizations. The centers are open Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Collection centers are closed on rainy days, Christmas, Independence, New Years and Thanksgiving Days.
Transporting Household Hazardous Material
Caution should be used when transporting household hazardous waste to a collection center due to the potential for partial exposure to the waste. Observe the following guidelines:
- A maximum of 15 gallons or 125 pounds may be brought in per vehicle per visit
- Household Hazardous Waste must be in its original container (except motor oil or antifreeze)
- Containers will not be returned.
- All containers must be sturdy, non-leaking, and protected from breakage.
- Containers must have lids.
- Do NOT mix or combine Household Hazardous Waste. (Exception: consolidate similar paints.)
- Dry out empty cans and discard in regular trash
- Do NOT mix oil base with latex paint.
Household Hazardous Material Accepted
- Oil & latex paint and paint products
- Automotive products (batteries, motor oil, antifreeze, etc.)
- Auto & furniture polish
- Household cleaners
- Wood preservatives
- Pesticides & herbicides
- Hobby & pool supplies
- Empty compressed gas cylinders
- Unused road flares
- Smoke detectors
- Household batteries ( alkaline, nickel-cadmium, and mercury[button])
- Fluorescent light ballast
Household Hazardous Waste NOT Accepted
- Business generated waste
- Biological wastes
- Radioactive wastes
- Compressed gas cylinders (partially full - please use up contents)
Collection Center Locations:
Anaheim Regional Collection Center
1071 Blue Gum
Located between the 91 and 57 Freeways at the corner of La Palma Avenue and Blue Gum Street in Anaheim.
Huntington Beach Regional Collection Center
17121 Nichols Street
Next to Rainbow Recycling and Disposal. Major cross streets are Beach Boulevard and Warner Avenue.
San Juan Capistrano Regional Collection Center
Prima Deshecha Landfill
From the 5 Freeway, take the Ortega Highway (74) East to La Pata Avenue and turn Right.
Irvine Regional Collection Center
6411 Oak Canyon
Next to City of Irvine Corporate Yard. From the 5 Freeway, take Sand Canyon exit, go West to Oak Canyon, turn tight.
For additional information:
911 Household Hazardous Materials Emergencies
(714) 834-4000 Integrated Waste Management Department (used oil, oil filters)
(714) 667-3700 Health Care Agency Environmental Health
(800) 553-2962 CIWMB Recycling Hot-Line ~ Motor Oil
(800) 69-TOXIC Waste Alert to report illegal dumping
(714) 834-6752 Household Hazardous Waste Hot-Line