BUSC Minutes November 20, 2002
Council Conference Room . . . . City Hall
Wednesday, November 20, 2002 . . . 5:30 p.m.
- COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT:
- John Olmsted, Chairman
Sean Fleshman, Vice-Chairman
Frederick E. Von Coelln
- COMMITTEE MEMBERS ABSENT:
- Jack James
- STAFF PRESENT:
- Ronald Bowers, Senior Civil Engineer
Mark Miller, Traffic Engineer
CALL TO ORDER
The regular meeting of the Bicycle Users Subcommittee was called to order at 5:35 pm.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Correction of the minutes: APPROVAL OF THE OCTOBER 2002 MINUTES.
New business was approved to be discussed before Old Business.
DISCUSS RESTRIPING OF INTERSECTION AT ACACIA AND MELODY.
The installation of a right-turn pocket and left-turn lane at the T intersection of westbound Melody at Acacia is proposed. The street is not wide enough for a Class 2 route without eliminating parking. At the intersection, the additional right-turn lane will reduce congestion at the intersection. Staff recommended that Melody be changed to a Class 3 route. Parking will be removed near the corner to allow the installation of the right-turn lane. The TCC has approved the removal of parking. In response to discussion regarding no access ramp at the corner, staff advised that an existing utility pole prevents the City from installing an access ramp that meets current standards.
DISCUSS RESTRIPING OF INTERSECTION AT ACACIA AND DOROTHY.
Staff proposed installing through/left-turn lane and right-turn lane southbound on Acacia at Dorothy. This involves removal of parking on the west side of Acacia near the intersection. Property owners who will loose parking are in support of these improvements. No Class 2 bike lane can be installed if this done.
Staff has proposed installing 60 feet of red curb northbound Acacia north of Dorothy adjacent to the school driveway entrance to allow a right-turn lane into the school parking lot. Council has approved this improvement. This location would be similar to Highland at Chapman. Staff recommended changing Acacia N/O Dorothy to a Class 3 route and the Subcommittee agreed.
DISCUSS BIKE LANE ON ORANGETHORPE FROM EUCLID TO LEMON - Information Item Only.
Staff proposed posting no stopping anytime to have enough room to stripe three lanes and a bike lane. The street narrows eastbound on Orangethorpe from Highland to Lemon and westbound from Lemon to Harbor, and there may not be enough room for a bike lane. It may be necessary to use the sidewalk in these areas. The City is in favor of maintaining the medians within this area.
DISCUSS BICYCLE USE OF SIDEWALK AND CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE.
The City Attorney has reviewed and concluded that it is currently illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk without a resolution or ordinance allowing such use. This impacts bike routes where it is expected that bikes will be ridden on the sidewalk and not in the street.
Two options are suggested:
- Allow bicycle use on sidewalks except in designated areas;
- Designate certain areas where bicycles can be ridden on the sidewalk.
The downtown area would be an area where bikes should not be allowed on the sidewalk. Member Buck spoke on the background of this issue; and that the previous Traffic Engineer had designed some routes where it was necessary for bikes to be ridden on the sidewalk, e.g., Parks and Castlewood
Pedestrians have the right of way if bikes are allowed on the sidewalk per the vehicle code. Staff will prepare the appropriate document, i.e., resolution or ordinance. The Subcommittee suggested that a skate boarding resolution be recommended to the Council at the same time as the Bicycle Master Plan if no delay is caused to the Plan. It was also suggested that bicycles should not be allowed on sidewalks in the Central Business District; speed limits should be included. The Committee requested to review a draft of staff's document.
CONTINUE THE REVIEW OF EXISTING BIKE ROUTE MASTER PLAN AND CONSIDERATION OF REVISING EXISTING BIKE ROUTES AND CLASSIFICATIONS.
Member Buck brought up several issues with the proposed revisions to the Master Plan.
- He commented on the existing and proposed Class 1 route on Bastanchury east of Harbor. The existing Class 1 route on the north side is substandard. The sidewalk on the south side of Bastanchury is wide enough for a Class 1 route and when Bastanchury is widened, a Class 1 route could be extended. A better route would be to install a Class 1 route on the south side between the golf course and Fairway Isles when Bastanchury is widened.
- The Class 1 route built on the north side of Malvern west of Bastanchury was not built to current standards.
The BUSC made the following recommendation for the Master Plan:
- Melody east of Acacia class 3
- Acacia north of Dorothy class 3
- *Bastanchury from Malvern to Parks was discussed and recommended to leave as a class 1. If class 1 is built along rail road than the class 1 along Bastanchury would be removed
- Railroad right of way beginning at Malvern west of Bastanchury to north city limit should remain class 1 if railroad is ever abandoned.
- Warburton between Valencia Mesa and railroad right-of-way add class 2
- Lakeview from Euclid to north city limit class 3
- Euclid from Lakeview to Laguna class 2
- Remove Class 3 route on Roberta from Pacific to Orchard and add class 3 route on Baker from Pacific to Orchard and Pacific from Roberta to Baker.
- Sunnyridge from Valley View to Valencia Mesa class 3
- Laguna Road from Valencia Mesa to Domingo class 3
- Nutwood E/O Commonwealth should be a class 2 route if no bridge is built over freeway through California State University Fullerton (CSUF).
- CSUF over 57 freeway to Madison add back in the class 1
- Madison from Placentia to cul-de-sac class 3
- Remove Juanita Cook Trail
Proposed Bike Route Classifications attached.
NON AGENDA ITEMS
Bike lanes have been painted on both sides of Berkeley from Harbor to Valley View recently with parking allowed. On street parking is necessary due to business adjacent to Berkeley and the college.
PROPOSED BIKE ROUTE CLASSIFICATIONS
|Rosecrans ||West City Limit||Parks Road||2||None|
|Rosecrans||Parks Road ||Euclid||2 ||Yes|
|Euclid ||Rosecrans||Bastanchury||2 ||Yes|
|Lakeview||Euclid||North City Limit||3||Yes|
|Gilbert||North City Limit||Commonwealth||2||None|
|Gilbert ||Commonwealth||South City Limit||3||Yes|
|North of Rosecrans Undeveloped property||West City Limit||Euclid||2||None|
|Parks||Bastanchury||North City Limit||2||None|
|Sunny Ridge||Valley View ||Valencia Mesa||3||Yes|
|Railroad R/W||Malvern||North City Limit||1||None|
|Valencia Mesa||Bastanchury||E/O Harbor||2||None|
|Pioneer||Gilbert||Sunny Ridge ||3||None|
|Dam E/O Harbor||1||None|
|Warburton ||Bastanchury||West of Bastanchury||2||Yes|
|Laguna Road||Euclid ||Domingo||3||None|
|Juanita Cooke Trail||Berkeley||North City Limit||3||None|
|Harbor||Brea||North City Limit||2||Yes|
|Brea ||Harbor||North City Limit||2||No|
|Bastanchury ||Harbor||East City Limit||2||No|
|Rolling Hills||Puente||East City Limit||2||No|
|Craig Park||State College||Associated||1||No|
|Associated||Yorba Linda||North City Limit||2||No|
|CSUF||Yorba Linda ||Nutwood||1||None|
|CSUF||State College||Center CSUF||1||None|
|Placentia ||North City Limit||Mystic||2||No |
|Dorothy||Hornet||State College||2||None |
|Fullerton creek||Melody||State College||1||None|
|CSUF/Yorba Linda||State College||Associated||1||None|
|CSUF||Center of CSUF||Madison||1||None|
|Malvern||West City Limit||Basque||1||None |
|Union||Malden||Alley W/o Harbor||3||None |
|Union||Alley W/o Harbor||Pomona||3||Yes |
|Alley W/o Harbor||Union||Berkeley||3||Yes|
|Valencia||West City Limit||Highland ||2||Yes |
|Rail Road R/W ||S/o Malvern ||South City Limit ||1||None|
|Commonwealth ||Berkeley ||Nutwood||2||None|
|Orangethorpe ||Raymond ||Placentia||2||None|
|Highland ||Malvern ||Baker||2||None|
|Basque ||Malvern ||Houston ||2||None |
|Richman ||Walnut ||Valencia||2||None |
|Richman ||Wilshire ||E/o Highland ||3||Yes|
|Pomona ||Santa Fe ||Union||3||Yes|
|Pomona ||Rail Road ||Rosslynn ||3||Yes|
|Acacia ||South City Limit||Melody||2||None|
|Madison||Placentia||East City Limit||2||None|