Low Graphics Version Home | Contact Us | FAQs | Service Request | eLists | Site Map
City of Fullerton
Community Dev
Home ... > 1926-1930 Non-Residential > Firestone Tire Service Building, 1929
Shortcuts
State College & Raymond Grade Separation Updates
Downtown
Water Bill Payment
City Employment
Agendas & Minutes
City Services
Classes
Emergency Preparedness
Online Services
Permits
Police News
Public Notices
Firestone Tire Service Building

 << Back | Next >>

Location:
500 N. Harbor Boulevard
1929: Spanish Colonial Revival

Firestone Tire Service BuildingThis “L”-shaped building was designed by Morgan, Walls and Clements of Los Angeles, a productive firm responsible for a large quantity of the Spanish Colonial Revival commercial architecture in Southern California. In this example, there is a mix of the earlier Mission style, such as the “bell tower” and arches.

The building was built for C. C. Chapman for $17,000, after the Alician Court Theatre (now Fox Fullerton) directly to the north was completed for him. The Firestone Tire and Rubber Company was a longtime tenant, starting in 1929; the building was used as a garage, gas station and other automobile related businesses until 1978. While obscuring to some extent the features of the original style, the building’s 1980s conversion to commercial shops is a good example of adaptive reuse.

FacebookTwitterYouTube
RSS for Fullerton NewsFullerton eLists
Home | Contact Us | FAQs | Service Request | eLists | Site Map | Disclaimer & Privacy PolicyCopyright © 2000 - 2014 Community. Development, 303 W. Commonwealth Ave., Fullerton, CA 92832. 714-738-6547