Location: 546 W. Whiting Avenue
1922: Craftsman Bungalow
This house is a fine example of Craftsman bungalow architecture, prominently situated on a corner lot and basically unaltered from its original construction. The rambling floor plan, the deep porch that wraps around the west side from its north façade, and fine, consistent detailing on all sides of the house are true Craftsman bungalow characteristics. The smooth stucco walls are original. The red tile roof replaced the original composition shingle in 1933, when the tiles were salvaged from the demolition of a building on the Ford Elementary School site after the Long Beach earthquake.
The house was built for Herbert Osborne, a civil engineer,who subdivided and developed other lots on the south side of this block in the 1920s.