Location: 213 Claire Avenue
1901: Colonial Revival
This fine, well-maintained Colonial Revival house is one of a very few in Fullerton that still allows one to see the way much of the area must have looked originally. Nearby pepper trees are as old as the house, and while the landscaping around the home differs from that first planted, the prevailing environment with its open fields and empty spaces may recall an earlier time.
The house is cubical in shape with hipped roof and redwood siding. A verandah sheltered by a shed roof and supported by slender wood posts extends along the south-facing front. The open railing of the porch is original, but the east side of the verandah has been removed. Additions include a carport on the west side and a freestanding light fixture in the front yard.
The house sits on land formerly owned by the Stern family. The Noutary family came to Fullerton from France in 1905. Mr. Noutary originally rented from Abel Stearn, but he acquired the house as well as the immediately adjacent lands outright in 1924. Five of the six Noutary children were born in the house, with Dr. George Clark attending.
The farmhouse was the only building in this part of town until the 1930s, when the Northgate Heights area was subdivided for residential development.