COUNCIL CONFERENCE ROOM FULLERTON CITY HALL
THURSDAY, 9:00 A.M., DECEMBER 2, 2004
|CALL TO ORDER:||Chairman Rosen called the meeting to order at 9:05 a.m. |
|COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT:||Becerra, Cortez, Mullis, Rosen, Tabatabaee, |
|COMMITTEE MEMBERS ABSENT:||Thompson |
|STAFF MEMBERS PRESENT:||Voronel, Kusch, Norton |
|OTHERS PRESENT: ||None |
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
No Action Minutes November 18, 2004
PRJ04-01098 – ZON04-001112. APPLICANT: JONATHAN PARK; PROPERTY OWNER: IK CHANGE.
A request for a 20% reduction in the required minimum rear yard setback, from 15 feet to 12 feet, to facilitate the construction of a 208-square-foot addition to an existing bedroom, on property located at 1473 Roberta Avenue (north side of Roberta Avenue, 300 feet east of South Eadington Avenue) (R-1-7.2 Zone) (Categorically exempt under Section 15303 of CEQA Guidelines) (AK).
The applicant Jonathan Park, was present to discuss the project. He acknowledged that the property was subject to a citation from Code Enforcement for an existing illegally converted garage. The owner is committed to correcting this issue.
Assistant Planner Kusch stated that the applicant is requesting to expand an existing bedroom toward the rear of the property. The request includes a 20% reduction in the required 15-foot rear yard setback to 12’-0”. An aerial photograph and the submitted site plan were displayed indicating existing and proposed building setbacks on the subject property and adjacent properties. The existing rear yard setback for the neighboring residences is less than what the Municipal Code requires. The residence to the north has a 9-foot setback and the residence located to the west has a 7-foot rear yard setback. The elevation shows that the residence will be architecturally compatible with the existing home in terms of roof and siding materials.
Staff received no inquiries from neighbors opposing the project recommends approval.
Committee Member Mullis requested clarification regarding staff’s statement that the existing setbacks of neighboring properties and the subject property were less than required. What is on the subject property? Assistant Planner Kusch explained that there is an existing patio cover that is approximately 10 feet from the rear property line.
Chairman Rosen said he wanted to be clear that the request is not to create a new bedroom but to expand the existing one, and asked if the patio cover would stay with the addition. Mr. Park said that the request is only to expand the existing bedroom to a combination library/den/study. In answer to Mr. Rosen’s second question, Mr. Park explained that part of the patio cover would remain, and the portion that is left would be removed. Assistant Planner Kusch clarified a question asked by staff that the wall would be removed between bedroom 3 so that there is a clear opening.
With no further questions, Chairman Rosen called for a motion.
MOTION made, SECONDED, and CARRIED unanimously by those present to APPROVE PRJ04-01098 – ZON04-00112. (Resolution No. 403) with the following conditions:
- All corrections generated through the plan check and inspection processes are incorporated by reference as conditions of approval. This will include any requirements generated by the Engineering Division.
- Approved numbers of addresses shall be placed on all new and existing buildings in such a position as to be plainly visible and legible from the street or road fronting the property and alley serving said property. For front address numbers we recommend a height of 1 inch for every 10 feet from the street (14 inch maximum); 2 to 3 inch numbers for rear numbers mounted above the doors. Address numbers must meet FFD Standard #7 requirements.
- Water Engineering would require that the existing water meter be noted on the plans.
- All exterior materials and colors used to construct the new addition shall match the existing house.
- Any broken sidewalk/curb/gutter shall be replaced.
There is a 10-day appeal period where any action by this Committee can be appealed to the Planning Commission and ultimately to the City Council. The request may be approved subject to conditions. Minutes of the hearing and a Resolution will be prepared.
ADJOURNED AT 9:20 A.M. AS STAFF SITE PLAN REVIEW COMMITTEE: