Garage Sales are a great way of cleaning house while making a little extra money for your family. However, the Fullerton Municipal Code has established a few specific regulations for garage sales to ensure that they do not pose any problems or inconveniences for your neighbors. Following are those regulations:
- How often can I hold a garage sale at my home?
- The Fullerton Municipal Code permits residents to have one sale every six months, and no sale may last longer than three consecutive days. Sale items may not be displayed or sold in the public right-of-way, such as on a sidewalk, and no sales or displays of items may take place after sundown.
- What kind of things can I sell?
- Just about anything around your house that you no longer have room or use for. Just remember that anything you sell must have been owned or used by you or someone in your household. Commercial merchandise may not be brought in and sold in addition to or in place of your own items.
- Can I post signs to advertise my garage sale?
- Sure. But keep in mind that the City’s Municipal Code allows no more than three signs per sale, and each sign may be no larger than 2 square feet in area. Other sign requirements are:
- Signs may be posted on other people’s property, but only with their written permission.
- Signs may not be posted in the public right-of-way or on public property. This includes telephone poles, power poles, street lights, street signs, city trees, or on sidewalks, in crosswalks or on curbs. Signs illegally posted will be removed by the City, and the persons responsible for posting them may be assessed the costs of the cleanup and removal.
- Signs may be displayed during daylight hours only.
- Signs must be removed at the conclusion of the sale.
If you have further questions about garage sales, please call (714) 738-6553 or visit the Community Preservation Division of the Community Development Department at Fullerton City Hall. Our Community Preservation Officers would be happy to answer any questions you may have.